- Makes: 3½ cups
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: One-fifth of a medium avocado has only 50 calories yet nearly 20 vitamins and minerals. Black beans are rich in protein, cholesterol-lowering fiber, potassium and antioxidants.
- Recipe Created By: Charlyn Fargo
- Recipe From: Illinois Partners
- 4 ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large, ripe avocado, cut into ½-inch slices,
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup red onion, minced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 serrano peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- juice from 2 limes
- ½ teaspoon chili powder*
- salt and pepper
*To ensure this salsa is gluten free, use chili powder that does not contain MSG or wheat. McCormick brand chili powder is GF, according to the manufacturer.
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Brush the corn ears with the oil and place on the grill rack directly over the heat. Cook, turning often, until tender and lightly bronzed, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
- In a bowl, mash the avocado, and add the beans, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, peppers, garlic, lime juice, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Cut off the kernels from the corn cobs and add to the mixture. Stir to mix well.
- Chill salsa if desired, or serve immediately with tortilla chips.
Tips & Notes
• The lime juice helps prevent the avocado from browning.
• Slash the sodium (salt) up to 45% in the black beans by draining and rinsing thoroughly before using.