Instead of buying them at the grocery store, try making your own tasty sausage patties with flavorful spices and lean ground pork.
- Makes: 8 patties
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: Kim Galeaz
- ¾ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¾ teaspoon ground sage
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¾ teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- Heat an 8-inch skillet over medium heat. Add fennel seeds and cook, stirring or shaking constantly, until seeds are fragrant and toasted, about 3 to 4 minutes. Crush seeds with mortar and pestle.
- In a small bowl, whisk crushed fennel with remaining nine seasonings until thoroughly combined.
- In a large bowl, combine ground pork with spice mixture, blending with a wooden spoon or your hands. Avoid overworking the mixture as patties will be tough.
- Shape into 8 patties, 3 inches in diameter.
- Heat an extra-large skillet (12-inch) over medium heat until hot.
- Add patties and cook until they reach 160 degrees in the center, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve immediately.