- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely minced*
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 6-8 large eggs
- 4-5 ounces crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Italian parsley and/or cilantro, chopped, for garnish
*Use just 1 jalapeño for a milder dish.
- In a very large, 12-inch oven-proof skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and combine onion, garlic, red bell pepper and jalapenos. Cook until very soft, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Add paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper to skillet and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt, pepper and smoked paprika (if using). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens slightly, about 15 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in feta cheese (if using).
- Crack eggs, one at a time, over sauce. Transfer skillet to hot oven and cook until the egg whites are just set but yolks are still runny, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and cilantro. Serve immediately.