- Makes: 16 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Per serving: 89 calories; 3g protein; 9g carbohydrates; 2g fiber; 5g total fat; 86mg sodium
- Recipe Created By: USA Dry Pea & Lentil Council
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 tablespoons tahini
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup jalpeno pepper, minced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a food processor or blender, puree chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, yogurt and oil until smooth, adding water as needed to make a creamy mixture. Transfer puree to a medium bowl.
- Add garlic, cumin, cayenne, jalapeno and bell pepper. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill 2-4 hours to allow flavors to blend. Garnish with cayenne pepper just before serving.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 151, Fat – 6.5g, Dietary Fiber – 5.3g, Protein – 6.4g, Vitamin C – 11%, Iron – 13%.
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
Tips & Notes
Stumped on the tahini? The ingredient is a Middle Eastern paste made from ground sesame seeds. Find it in your local ethnic grocery store.