- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 slices cheddar cheese*
- 4 hamburger buns
- Additional toppings such as lettuce, onions, tomatoes, pickles, ketchup and mustard
*Pre-cut snack cheese bars are ideal for this purpose, or you can also cut thicker slices from a block of cheese.
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the turkey, breadcrumbs and garlic by hand until ingredients are evenly distributed.
2. Divide the meat mixture into quarters.
3. Taking ¼ of the meat mixture, further divide it in half and form each of the halves into a single thin, round patty.
4. Cut each slice of cheese into quarters and stack all quarters on top of each other to make 1 thicker slice. Place cheese in the center of one thin, round patty and top with the other thin, round patty.
5. Pinch the edges together to seal and form one patty. (Pat the patty’s edges to round them as needed.) Repeat steps 3 to 5 until all 4 burger patties stuffed with cheese are formed.
6. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Over medium-high heat, cook the patties for 4 to 5 minutes, until the bottom side browns.
7. Flip the patties, prick the top with a toothpick (to allow steam to escape), and cover and cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes (or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees).
8. Assemble burgers with desired toppings, such as lettuce, onion, tomato, pickles and condiments.