Get your greens in this hearty dish, which can be eaten alone or on top of pasta.
- Makes: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Turnip greens, or any greens really, are packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals.
- Recipe Created By: Mary Carter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large leeks (or 1 cup ramps), sliced
- 1 large bunch turnip greens*, cleaned and sliced chiffonade-style
- ½ cup stock (chicken, beef or vegetable)
- 15 ounces (1 can) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces (1 can) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, or more to taste
* Any hearty greens will taste great in this dish, such as collards, kale, spinach or beet greens.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and saute until just beginning to brown and soften. Stir in greens and stock. Stir occasionally over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- When greens have softened, stir in the beans and pepper flakes, and heat until warmed through. Spoon into a serving dish, and top with Parmesan cheese.
Tips & Notes
This dish can be served over pasta, polenta, or rice, or enjoyed on its own.