These bite-sized waffles put a twist on the traditional breakfast item. Featuring bacon and chives, serve them as a tasty appetizer.
- 2 eggs
- 1 ⅓ cup milk (or more, if needed)
- 2 boxes (17 ounces) cornbread mix
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup chives or scallions, finely chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- canola oil (to brush on waffle iron)
Maple Dijon Dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- hot sauce or cayenne pepper, to taste
- chives or scallions, to garnish
- Prepare waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk eggs and milk. Stir in cornbread mix just until lumps are worked into the batter.
- Fold in the cooked bacon, chives, cheese and cayenne. If batter is too thick to pour, add up to ½ cup additional milk.
- To make waffle bites, ladle batter into the waffle iron, a dollop at a time (or at the size you need), and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions. Alternately, you can cook whole waffles and quarter them into triangles.
- To make dip, stir ingredients together until well combined. Season to taste. Serve with waffle bites.