A Southern favorite, cornmeal-crusted fried green tomatoes are perfect for a light lunch or as a side to a home-cooked dinner.
- Makes: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Tomatoes are filled with antioxidants vitamin A and C, and they contain lycopene, a natural phytonutrient that may help reduce risk of prostate cancer.
- Recipe Created By: Kristen Winston
- Recipe From: Tennessee Home & Farm
- Cut off ends of the tomatoes and slice each tomato into about three 1/2-inch pieces. Put tomato slices in a large bowl. Add buttermilk and turn to coat each slice. Marinate for 5 minutes.
- Place a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to come two-thirds up the side of the pan, and heat oil to 325 degrees. In a wide bowl, mix cornmeal, salt and pepper. Working in batches, remove tomatoes from buttermilk, shaking off excess and dip in cornmeal to coat each side. Shake off the excess cornmeal.
- Slip the slices into the oil in a single layer and fry until golden brown – about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
Tips & Notes
To dress up your dish, drizzle ranch dressing and sprinkle homemade bacon bits on top. Or, add bread for a fried green tomato sandwich.
No buttermilk on hand? You can use regular milk as a buttermilk substitute.