- ⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced into discs
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 1 pound soft, fresh buffalo mozzarella, sliced into rounds
- 1 large bunch fresh basil, cut into ribbons (chiffonade)
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the minced garlic. Brush eggplant with the mixture.
- Grill it on both sides just until it begins to soften, about 10 minutes. Set aside. This can be done a day ahead and refrigerated, if needed. (Alternatively, you can use your oven to broil the eggplant until golden, about 10 minutes.)
- Arrange the tomatoes, cheese, basil and eggplant slices attractively on a platter.
- Whisk together remaining ⅓ cup oil and vinegar, and drizzle over salad just before serving. Sprinkle with salt.
Tips & Notes
If you don’t have a grill, you can use your oven to broil the eggplant until golden, about 10 minutes.