Bursting with fresh herbs, these bite-sized mushroom tart appetizers are full of flavor.
- Makes: 25-30 servings
- Prep Time: 45 minutes (includes cooking phyllo dough shells)
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Nutrition Highlights: Mushrooms are a good source of selenium, an antioxidant mineral needed to protect body cells from damage and help boost immunity.
- Recipe Created By: Kim Galeaz
- Recipe From: My Indiana Home
- 25-30 (2 packages) mini phyllo dough shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- ½ cup shallots, very finely minced
- 1 to 1 ¼ pounds assorted mushrooms such as white button, oyster and shiitake, stems removed and very finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh dill, very finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh thyme, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian flat-leaf parsley, very finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- additional chopped fresh herbs for garnish, optional
- Prepare mini phyllo dough shells on a baking sheet according to package directions, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and shallots, and saute just until they start softening, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, herbs and spices, and continue cooking until mushrooms are soft and barely any liquid remains. Stir in shredded cheese. Remove mixture from heat.
- Fill the phyllo dough shells (still on baking sheet) with mushroom mixture. Use about 1 heaping teaspoon in each cup.
- Bake 5 minutes or until tarts are thoroughly hot. Sprinkle with additional chopped herbs for garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.