Guests will love these tiny finger-food sandwiches, featuring sweet potatoes, ham and pepper jelly.
- 2 cups self-rising flour, plus ¼ cup for rolling
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon powdered ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 2 heaping tablespoons brown sugar
- ¾ cup sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed*
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup pepper jelly
- 1 pound sliced spiral ham or smoked turkey
*You can also use canned sweet potatoes, but be sure to drain them well.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour with the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, brown sugar and salt. Grate ½ cup cold butter into the dry mixture. Gently combine until it resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in sweet potatoes and milk until just combined.
- Roll out and cut into 16 to 20 biscuits, about ½-inch thick, with a 2-inch biscuit cutter. Brush tops with remaining butter.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until golden.
- Allow biscuits to cool. Slice each in half, lightly butter each side, and fill with meat and pepper jelly.