- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1½ pounds asparagus
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shaved
- ¼ cup day-old garlic bread or French bread, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon unsalted buter
- To make homemade breadcrumbs, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place bread in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until toasted. If using French bread, toast as above, then rub cut sides of garlic over one side of each bread slice. Place bread slices in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until bread is coarsely ground. Arrange breadcrumbs in a single layer on a baking sheet; bake for an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer breadcrumbs to a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Cook 1-2 minutes or until butter is lightly browned; remove from heat. Drizzle butter over toasted breadcrumbs; toss well to coat.
- Combine vinegar, oil, lemon rind, lemon juice and onion; stir well with a whisk. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a large skillet. Snap off or cut tough ends of asparagus; add asparagus to pan. Cook 5 minutes or until tender. Place asparagus on a serving platter. Drizzle with vinaigrette; top with breadcrumb mixture. Garnish with Parmesan. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 103, Fat – 2.1g, Dietary Fiber – 9.0g, Protein – 9.3g, Vitamin A – 63%, Vitamin C – 43%, Calcium – 10%, Iron – 50%.
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
Tips & Notes
To save time, use store-bought breadcrumbs instead of making your own. Or, omit the breadcrumbs entirely to make this recipe gluten-free.