Impress your friends with these tasty popovers featuring sweet apples and salty bacon.
- Makes: 9 servings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Turkey bacon cuts down on the fat content in these popovers, while apples provide cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber.
- Recipe Created By: U.S. Apple Association
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and egg whites until well blended. Whisk in milk and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture, stirring well with a whisk. Let stand 30 minutes.
- While batter is standing, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cook bacon strips until crispy. Drain, let cool and finely chop.
- Coarsely grate apple, including peel.
- Coat a 9-cup popover pan with cooking spray.
- Fold the bacon, grated apple and melted butter into batter, stirring well until blended. Pour prepared batter into popover cups until ¾ full. Bake at 450 degrees for 18 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for 10 minutes more. Serve immediately with apple butter if desired.
Tips & Notes
You can use pork bacon if desired.