Spread sweet jam or flavored butter on these soft biscuits for a great start to the morning.
- Makes: 8 biscuits
- Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes (includes chill and rise time)
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Per biscuit: 240 calories, 7.7 g fat, 1.2 mg cholesterol, 480.8 mg sodium, 36.4 g carbs, 1.3 g fiber, 7.9 g sugar, 6.1 g protein
- Recipe Created By: Charlyn Fargo
- Recipe From: Illinois Partners
- 1 package yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- ½ cup shortening (Crisco recommended)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water and set aside.
- Mix shortening and dry ingredients as for pie dough, cutting in the shortening with a pastry blender. Add yeast and buttermilk. Blend thoroughly by spoon but don’t over mix.
- Refrigerate in a large covered bowl for at least an hour or overnight.
- When ready to bake, heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Turn chilled dough onto a floured board, and knead lightly (10 times). Roll out with a rolling pin, then cut into rounds with an upside down glass or biscuit cutter, or cut into squares with a knife.
- Place in greased pan. Let rise slightly, about 15 minutes in refrigerator.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until browned.