- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 12 standard muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, toss chopped dates with 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour to keep them from sticking together.
- In a large bowl, whisk together whole-wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter with pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk milk and egg together.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture and using a fork, stir in liquid mixture along with dates and almonds. Blend just until all ingredients are moistened. Batter will be very thick, like scone dough.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, dividing evenly and filling full.
- Bake 20 minutes or until tops are slightly golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Tips & Notes
These tasty treats are a combination of scones and muffins.