Warm and fluffy, homemade dinner rolls will quickly become a family favorite.
- Makes: 18 servings
- Prep Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Nutrition Highlights: Per serving: 142 calories, 2.8 g fat, 123 mg sodium, 3.9 g protein, 0.9 g dietary fiber. High in selenium and thiamin.
- Recipe Created By: Charlyn Fargo
- Recipe From: Illinois Partners
- 2 ¼ teaspoons (¼ ounce) active dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
- 1 ¼ cups milk (heated to 70-80 degrees)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour, plus up to 1 cup more for kneading
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add milk, egg, butter, sugar, salt and most of the flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic. Add more flour as needed for kneading.
- Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled. Punch dough down. Roll to ¾-inch thick, and cut with a 2 ½-inch biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush tops with melted butter. Cover and let rise in warm place about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Tips & Notes
You can also make a similar version of these rolls in a bread machine: Recipe for Bread Machine Rolls