Moist apple muffins get a fiber boost from healthy lentils.
- Makes: 12 muffins
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Lentils provide added protein to this breakfast treat.
- Recipe Created By: USA Dry Pea & Lentil Council
- 1 egg
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup lentil puree (see below)
- 1 cup canned apple pie filling
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Add 2½ times the amount of water as lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir frequently. Cool slightly and do not drain.
- In small batches, mash or puree lentils with a blender, food processor or potato masher. Puree should be consistency of canned pumpkin. Add water to thin if needed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with baking cups.
- Beat egg in a large mixing bowl. Stir in oil. Add puree and apple filling.
- In a separate bowl, combing flours, sugar, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, salt, allspice and nutmeg.
- Stir dry mixture into puree mixture just until flour is moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until top of muffin bounces back when touched or a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.