These biscuits are made with sprouted whole-wheat flour, giving them added nutritional benefits.
- 3 ½ cups sprouted whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups buttermilk (maybe a little less)
- 4 tablespoons cold butter or lard
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour with buttermilk using a hand mixer, electric stand mixer or food processor. Add remaining ingredients and blend just until smooth dough forms.
- Remove dough to a well-floured pastry cloth or table sprinkled with additional sprouted flour to prevent sticking. Flour your rolling pin and roll dough to about ¾- to 1-inch thickness.
- Cut biscuits with a biscuit cutter or glass, and place on buttered baking sheet. Reroll remaining dough and cut into more biscuits.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until slightly brown on top. Brush with melted butter, if desired.