Fresh blueberries and a yummy mascarpone topping take homemade waffles to the next level.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Nutrition Highlights: Per serving: 220 calories, 4 g protein, 26 g carbohydrates, 12 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium
- Recipe Created By: Charlyn Fargo
- Recipe From: Illinois Partners
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
Orange Mascarpone Topping
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ cup blueberry syrup
- 2 cups blueberries
- fresh rosemary sprigs
- To make the waffles, use a whisk to combine eggs until evenly mixed. Add the buttermilk, oil, sugar, cinnamon and baking soda. Whisk together until well combined. Add the flours, baking powder and salt and whisk just until the large lumps disappear. Transfer the batter to a measuring pitcher.
- Meanwhile, combine the mascarpone cheese, orange juice, powdered sugar and orange zest in a small bowl, mixing well. Set aside.
- Microwave blueberry syrup on high for 30 to 40 seconds. In a medium bowl, combine the blueberry syrup with the fresh blueberries, stirring gently to coat.
- To make waffles, heat a waffle iron until hot and pour some batter evenly over the center of the grill, easing it toward, but not into the corners and edges. Close the iron and cook until the exterior of the waffle is golden brown and the inside is soft, light and springy, about 4 minutes. Continue with the rest of the batter. Transfer each waffle to a platter in the oven to keep them warm.
- To serve, spoon blueberries onto each waffle. Top each with a dollop of the mascarpone mixture and fresh rosemary.