With Swiss cheese, onions and spinach, our oven-fresh breakfast strata is a savory morning treat and healthy, too.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes (plus 1 hour or overnight refrigeration)
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe From: Tennessee Home & Farm
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Toast bread slices in a single layer until dry and crisp, about 30 minutes, turning over after 15 minutes. When cooled, spread margarine on one side of bread.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and salt and pepper to taste, stirring until combined. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Spray an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange some of the bread slices, margarine side up, in a single layer in dish. Spread half of spinach mixture and ½ cup cheese over bread slices. Arrange bread in another layer over cheese. Spread remaining spinach and ½ cup of cheese over bread.
- Whisk Egg Beaters with milk, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Pour over spinach and bread layers. Lay plastic wrap directly on top of the layers and place weight on top. Refrigerate covered at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and let stand on counter 30 minutes. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Uncover casserole and sprinkle remaining ¼ cup of cheese over top.
- Bake uncovered 50 minutes or until center is puffed and set, and edges pull away from pan on sides.
Tips & Notes
Two 1-pound boxes of powdered sugar works great as a weight to press onto the layers.