Spicy, savory granola mixes with sweet-tart honey, citrus and granola for a delicious start to the morning.
- Makes: 4 cups
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: Vivian Howard
Coconut Curried Peanut Granola
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 ¼ cups salt-roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ cup unrefined coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
Honeyed Yogurt with Citrus
- To make the granola: Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, shredded coconut and peanuts. In another bowl, whisk egg white until frothy. Then, whisk in sugar, curry powder, coriander, cayenne, coconut oil and salt.
- Pour the egg-white mixture over the nut mixture and stir well to combine. Spread the whole thing out in a thin layer on a large baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes, or until things are golden brown and fragrant.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before breaking into pieces. It should be quite caramelized on the bottom and should break off in big chunks.
- For the citrus: Using a microplane, remove the zest of 1 orange. Stir it and the honey into the yogurt. Set that aside.
- Using a serrated paring knife, cut the tops and bottoms off the rest of the citrus. Anchor each fruit, flesh-side down, on a cutting board.
- Working from top to bottom, slice away the pith and white membrane all the way around the piece of fruit. Once you have naked citrus, hold the fruit in the palm of your hand, slicing very close to each membrane, and release each segment of citrus. Make sure you have a small bowl below your hands to catch any juice.
- Depending on how loose you like it, stir up to 2/3 cup of citrus juice into the yogurt.
- To serve, top with the mixed citrus, pomegranate seeds and granola.
Tips & Notes
The granola is by no means something that’s only good for breakfast. Try it as a go-to snack or a topping for salads.