- Makes: 4-6 servings (3-4 squares each)
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-18 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Apples and oats contain cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber.
- Recipe Created By: Kim Galeaz
- 1 ¾ cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 ¼ cups white whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup ground flax seed
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground Saigon cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 cups apples, peeled and finely diced
- ¾ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Coat a 10- by 15-inch rimmed baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
- Whisk all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk, orange juice, eggs and oil together in smaller bowl. Stir lightly into dry ingredients until just combined; don’t over-mix.
- Lightly stir in apples and walnuts.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out nearly clean.
- Cut into 18 squares (6x3) and serve warm with desired toppings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 752, Fat – 39.3g, Dietary Fiber – 15.2g, Protein – 26.5g, Vitamin C – 10%, Calcium – 37%, Iron – 28%.
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.