This filling potato dish featuring ham and spinach is perfect for a brunch get-together.
- 7 cups (about 2½ pounds) Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ham, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 2 cups skim milk
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- cooking spray
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel potatoes and cut into slices about 1/8-inch thick.
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in ham, spices and spinach.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk and flour and stir with a whisk.
- To assemble, layer half of potato slices in an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle potatoes with salt. Spread spinach/ham mixture over potato slices. Arrange remaining potato slices over spinach mixture. Pour milk mixture on top. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour, 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for another 15 minutes.