Red pepper adds zest to this savory breakfast casserole.
- Put rack in middle of oven and preheat to 375 F.
- Brown sausage in a skillet. Drain fat and cool.
- Cut half of French bread loaf in one-inch-thick slices, and spread each slice with softened butter. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray, and arrange the bread slices in one tight layer in the dish. Sprinkle with sausage.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, salt and pepper until frothy. Then whisk in green onions and one cup of cheese. Pour egg mixture over sausage.
- Sprinkle with red peppers and then remaining cheese.
- Bake covered 30 minutes, then uncover and bake 20 more minutes or until puffed on the sides and the center is set.
Tips & Notes
Serve with salsa and sour cream for an extra kick.