Chocolate-covered pecans and vanilla whipped cream top this decadent pie with a bottom layer of chocolate.
- 8-inch pie crust, unbaked
- 5 tablespoons butter-flavor vegetable shortening, divided
- ½ ounce unsweetened baking chocolate (½ square)
- ½ cup granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup pecans, finely chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, well beaten and divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon solid vegetable shortening
- 8 pecan halves
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1½ teaspoons powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place crust into 8-inch pie plate. Flute edges, and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine 3 tablespoons shortening and chocolate. Cook at 50-percent power for 1½ minutes; stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Stir in ¼ cup granulated sugar. Stir in finely chopped nuts, flour, 2 tablespoons of the beaten eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla, mixing well.
- Spread in bottom of unbaked pie crust. Prick side of crust above filling about 25 times.
- Bake for 7 minutes or until filling in shiny. Remove from oven.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining 2 tablespoons of shortening.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining ¼ cup granulated sugar and cornstarch. Stir in remaining beaten eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, melted shortening, bourbon, remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla and salt. Stir in coarsely chopped nuts. Spoon over bottom layer of pie.
- Return to oven and bake for 20 minutes. Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent over-browning, and bake an additional 20 minutes, or until filling is set and crust is light golden brown. Cool to room temperature before serving.
- For garnish, melt chocolate chips and shortening at 50 percent power for 1 minute in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Dip flat part of each pecan half in melted chocolate. Place nuts, chocolate sides up, on waxed paper until chocolate is firm.
- For topping, combine whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla in medium bowl. Beat at high speed of electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Place eight dollops on top of pie. Garnish each with chocolate-coated pecan half, rounded side up. Refrigerate leftovers.