- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two pie plates well, including the sides and rim. Set aside.
- Using a handheld mixer, blend together the chocolate cake mix, half a can of frosting (you can use the remainder for another two pies or other use), water and oil. Divide the mixture evenly between the 2 pie plates. (It won’t look like a pie crust at this point.)
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, press the chocolate cake mixture down into the bottom of the pie tin (so it will form more of a crust), and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Let cool. While the pie is cooling, allow the ice cream to soften.
- Divide the ice cream between the two pie tins, and smooth into a pie shape. Wrap well in plastic wrap and foil, and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours.
Tips & Notes
If you’d like to make this recipe gluten free, check the frosting ingredients and use a gluten-free cake mix.