- 11 ounces vanilla or lemon wafers
- 1 cup salted cashews
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 28 ounces (2 cans) sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (roughly 5 whole lemons)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ pint raspberries
- 1 pint blueberries
- To make crust, process wafers and cashews into crumbs. Combine with butter until well mixed. Press into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees, until golden. Cool.
- To make filling, whisk condensed milk and lemon juice until well mixed and thick. Spoon into crust and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to allow filling to set.
- For topping, whip cream until thick. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Spread evenly over pie filling, leaving a small amount for garnish. Decorate pie as desired with berries, and accent with remaining whipped cream.
For Tennessee Star decoration: Decorate rim with a circle of raspberries. Form the flag emblem by filling in the remaining space with blueberries, leaving three holes. Create stars using whipped cream.
Tips & Notes
The longer you stir in the lemon juice, the more it curdles the proteins in the condensed milk, which makes for a thicker filling. Keep the pie chilled as long as possible before serving.