- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- 6 cups peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, minced
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 3-4 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 frozen pie shells
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix above ingredients (except butter). Tuck prepared peach filling into frozen pie shell, scatter butter over fruit, add top crust, flute around edges, and cut four slits at right angles on dough to allow steam to escape.
- Place pie on baking sheet. Bake until top crust is golden (20-25 minutes).
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake until juices bubble and crust is golden brown (30-50 minutes longer).
- Transfer pie to wire rack. Let cool to almost room temperature to allow juices to thicken (1-2 hours).
Tips & Notes
Make homemade whipped topping with 1 cup heavy cream, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Put the cream in a chilled bowl, and whip with a cold whisk until peaks begin to form. Then slowly whip in sugar and vanilla until you have stiff peaks. Use immediately.