- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 ¼ cups sour cream
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans.
- Cream together butter, sugar and sour cream. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in baking soda, salt and vanilla. Alternate adding flour with the buttermilk. Stir until just combined.
- Pour into pans and bake 28 to 35 minutes, until center springs to the touch.
- To make the icing, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir occasionally until it is just brown and foamy.
- Stir in brown sugar and milk. Stir until it begins to bubble around the edges. Allow to cool slightly. Stir in powered sugar and salt vigorously.
- If icing is too thick to spread, stir in more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. Frost cake quickly.
- If desired, pour additional caramel sauce over the top of the cake.
Tips & Notes
Though making the caramel icing isn’t difficult, the timing can be tricky. Allow layers to cool completely in pans, about 30 minutes, before adding icing.