For a twist on the traditional pumpkin pie, try this similar dessert that is made with butternut squash.
- 1½ cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
- Place squash in saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and simmer over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a blender or food processor, combine squash, brown sugar, cornstarch, egg, milk, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, ginger and nutmeg. Process until smooth. Pour into the unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a table knife comes out clean when inserted in center.
Tips & Notes
If you’re in a hurry, stick the squash in the refrigerator or freezer to help it cool down faster.