This quick cherry pie filling turns store-bought pie crust into homemade summer goodness.
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- 6 cups sweet cherries (pitted) or 6 cups pitted frozen cherries
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¹⁄₈ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¹⁄₈ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¹⁄₈ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 3-4 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 pie shell
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Tuck prepared fruit into pie shell, scatter butter over fruit, add top crust, flute around edges, and cut four slits at right angles on dough to allow steam to escape.
- Place pie on baking sheet. Bake until top crust is golden (20-25 minutes).
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake until juices bubble and crust is golden brown (30-50 minutes longer).
- Transfer pie to wire rack. Let cool to almost room temperature to allow juices to thicken (1-2 hours).
Tips & Notes
Feel free to use your own homemade pie crust, but this filling is perfect for store-bought crust.