- 2 ¼ cups self-rising cornmeal
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 rounded tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2-3 slices white bread
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons sage, rubbed
- 1 stick butter, melted
- ½ cup half-and-half or evaporated milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- Heat oven to 415 degrees. Mix together cornmeal, milk, buttermilk, 1 egg and mayonnaise. Pour the mixed ingredients into a well-greased 8-inch cast iron skillet, and bake for 30 minutes until brown. Once it is finished baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool.
- After the cornmeal mixture has cooled, crumble the cornbread and 2-3 slices of white bread into a bowl. Next, add the onion, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and sage. Mix well. Add melted butter, the other egg, half-and-half or evaporated milk, chicken broth and half of a can of cream of chicken soup. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased 10 ½-inch square cast iron skillet. Spread the rest of the can of soup on top of the dressing ingredients mixture, and bake for 45 minutes in a 350-degree preheated oven until lightly browned.