Our sweet potato casserole goes the opposite direction of the typical requisites of marshmallows and brown sugar. Instead, this savory side dish gets its flavor from bacon, rosemary, shallots (a variety of onion) and Gruyere cheese.
- Makes: 8-10 servings
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Nutrition Highlights: Sweet potatoes are loaded with beta carotene, which increases our levels of vitamin A, and also contain vitamin C, potassium and fiber.
- Recipe Created By: Kristen Winston Catering
- Recipe From: Tennessee Home & Farm
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), scrubbed well
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 2 small shallots, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 ounces Gruyere cheese (about ½ cup), finely grated, plus more for garnish
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- bacon, cooked, to garnish (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place sweet potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and pierce each several times with a fork. Bake until tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add rosemary, and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Cut cooled potatoes in half and scoop out sweet potato flesh into a food processor. Process for 30 seconds or until completely smooth. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter, reserved shallot mixture, egg, cream and cheese. Process for another 30 seconds until completely smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer sweet potato mixture to a 1.5 quart baking dish. Bake until golden, about 30-35
minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with reserved rosemary and crumbled bacon. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
Alternate serving tip: Transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe mixture into ramekins. Reduce baking time to 20 minutes.