This recipe combines two essential fall ingredients – apples and sweet potatoes –in one delicious dish.
- Makes: 6-8 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Per serving: 238 calories, 3.6g fat, 366 mg sodium, 6g dietary fiber, 1.6g protein; This recipe is low in cholesterol and very high in vitamin B6.
- Recipe Created By: Charlyn Fargo
- Recipe From: Illinois Partners
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch thick slices
- 4 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup hot water
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish, and fill with alternating layers of sweet potatoes and apples.
- As you add layers, sprinkle the apples with sugar and the sweet potatoes with salt, a little sugar and liberal dots of butter.
- Pour ½ cup of hot water over the potatoes and apples. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking for 15 minutes longer, until potatoes are browned and apples are soft.