If you’re craving a warm, savory meal, try out our turkey pot pie, which combines leftover turkey (or chicken) with frozen vegetables for a hearty one-dish meal.
- Makes: Serves 8
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 70 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Recipe Created By: Kristen Winston
- 1 ½ pounds cooked turkey, shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ½ cups turkey or chicken broth
- 1 bouillon cube
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup carrots, medium diced and blanched for 2 minutes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen green beans or corn
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 9-inch deep-dish pie crusts
- In a small saucepan, dissolve bouillon cube in broth.
- In a large pot, melt the butter and sauté the onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the broth mixture to the sauce. Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring, until thick.
- And 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and heavy cream.
- Add the turkey, all of the vegetables and the parsley. Mix well.
- Place the stew in a baking dish, and put the baking dish on a sheet pan lined with parchment or wax paper. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Bake 1 pie crust for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and pour mixture in. Cover with top crust, seal edges and trim excess dough. Brush with egg wash and cut three slits in top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
Tips & Notes
Don’t have any turkey? Feel free to use chicken or any other protein of your choice for this recipe.