Change the reputation of fruitcake with these delicious cookie-like dessert bars.
- ¾ cup salted butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ¼ cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons candied cherries, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- ¾ cup white baking chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons each dried apricots, dried cranberries, candied cherries and walnuts or pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir melted butter into brown sugar. Pour into a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- With an electric mixer, beat in eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; gradually add the dry mixture to the butter mixture. Stir in dried fruits (batter will be thick).
- Spread batter into a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bake for 18 to 21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Do not overbake. Cool completely on wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar until combined. Gradually add half of the melted white chocolate; beat until blended. Frost brownies. Sprinkle with fruits and nuts. Drizzle with remaining white chocolate. Let the frosting set, then cut into square- or triangle-shaped bars. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Tips & Notes
To speed up the setting of the frosting, stick the bars in the refrigerator.