- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup margarine (or other vegetable oil-based spread)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1-1½ cups self-rising flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup flaxseed meal or wheat bran
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup dried apricots, dates or plums, chopped
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter, margarine, sugars, eggs, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir in 1 cup self-rising flour, whole wheat flour, oats and flaxseed meal. If sticky, add an additional ½ cup self-rising flour. Fold in fruits and nuts.
- Scoop onto cookie sheets, 12 per sheet. Bake for 10-13 minutes or until light tan.
Tips & Notes
In addition to butter, this recipe calls for margarine, because hydrogenated fat (vegetable oil) enhances the texture in a way that butter cannot and creates a lighter cookie. If you do not wish to use margarine, there are many alternatives – just look for oil-based spreads in the dairy or dairy alternatives department of your grocery store.