- 1 cup butter
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate baking bar, coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (1 ounce) bottle red liquid food coloring
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package ⅓ less fat cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with butter or shortening.
- Microwave butter and bittersweet chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl on high 1½ minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals.
- Whisk in sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking just until blended after each addition.
- Add red food coloring, vanilla and buttermilk and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- With a wooden spoon, gently stir in flour, cocoa powder and salt. Pour and spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25-35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely in pan on wire rack before frosting.
- While brownies cool, make frosting: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and salt, beating until blended. Stir in vanilla.
- Frost cooled brownies and store in refrigerator.