These tasty shortbread cookies have an interesting texture and a subtle orange flavor from the zest.
- Makes: 20 servings
- Prep Time: 40 minutes (includes freezing)
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Nutrition Highlights: Cranberries are an antioxidant super-food and may boost HDL “good” cholesterol levels.
- Recipe Created By: US Cranberry Marketing Committee
- To prepare shortbread: sift together flour, salt and baking powder; set aside.
- With mixer on high, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and sugar. Mix until sugar is dissolved and mixture is light.
- Switch mixer to low and add dry ingredients. Mix only until incorporated. Make 2 balls, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze 30 minutes.
- To prepare the jam: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine cranberries, orange juice, sugar and orange zest. Simmer stirring often until cranberries are softened. Remove from heat. Let cool.
- To assemble the shortbread: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using one ball, grate with coarse grater into 9-by-12-inch pan. Press down lightly. Cover with jam. Repeat with second all.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar. Let cool 10 minutes before cutting.
Tips & Notes
Enjoy cranberries year round by buying extra bags of fresh, in-season cranberries to freeze in zippered plastic bags.