- 4 cups milk
- 6-8 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix and heat milk, sugar and salt. Stir hot milk slowly into lightly beaten eggs. Add vanilla.
- Pour mixture into custard cups or 1 ½-quart baking dish. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon, nutmeg or both.
- Bake in a pan of hot water until custard is set, 30-45 minutes (longer when using a baking dish). When the point of a thin knife comes out clean, remove at once from hot water to keep from overcooking.
Tips & Notes
Adjust the cooking time to the size of your pan. Ramekins require less baking time than a larger baking dish.