- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup flour
- dash of salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 33 vanilla wafers (more for garnish, if desired)
- 5 bananas, sliced
- Mix ½ cup sugar, flour and salt in the top of a double boiler. Blend in egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water until pudding thickens, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter until melted; then stir in vanilla.
- Set aside 12 wafers for garnish. Spread a small amount of the pudding onto the bottom of a 1.5-quart baking dish. Cover with ⅓ of the remaining wafers, then ⅓ of the banana slices, then ⅓ of the remaining pudding. Repeat layers two more times. To create individual portions, use small serving bowls, following the same process.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- To make meringue, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add in remaining sugar. Beat on high speed for 4 minutes until mixture forms stiff peaks. Spread over pudding.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly. Garnish with additional wafers, if desired.