Celebrate the cool flavor of peppermint and chocolate this season with a tasty, easy-to-eat cupcake.
- 1 box (18.75 ounces) Devil’s Food Cake mix
- 1 box cook-and-serve (non-instant) vanilla pudding
- 2 cups sour cream
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate, grated or chocolate chips
Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or heavy cream, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, pudding, sour cream, water, oil and eggs with electric mixer. Begin on low speed until dry ingredients are moistened; then beat on medium for 2-3 minutes until well mixed. Gently fold in chocolate chips and pour into well-greased muffin tins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan for 20 minutes before icing.
- For frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk butter on medium until smooth. Add salt. Add half of powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla and peppermint extract. Beat in 1 tablespoon of milk or cream. Add remaining sugar 1 cup at a time. Add additional milk/cream until frosting reaches desired consistency. If piping on cupcakes, it should be thick.
- Ice cupcakes by hand, or pipe with an extra-large plain round or star tip.
Tips & Notes
Top your cupcakes with crushed peppermint sticks.