The fall flavors of pear and cranberry come together in this pretty pink dessert, enhanced by almond liqueur.
- In a large saucepan, bring the cranberries and water to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a food processor, puree the mixture (in batches if needed). Return it to the saucepan, add 1 cup sugar and ½ cup liqueur, then stir.
- Peel the pears carefully, leaving the stems attached. Cut a small slice from the bottom of each pear so they stand upright.
- Place the pears in the cranberry-liqueur mixture, bring to a simmer, then cook for 15 minutes. Transfer the pears to a bowl and set them aside.
- Bring the cranberry-liqueur mixture back to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened. Pour the syrup over the pears, cover and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, whip the cream with the remaining ¼ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon liqueur. Remove the pears from the syrup. Spoon the sauce into serving dishes and place a pear on each one. Top the pear with whipped cream mixture and garnish with mint sprigs.