- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice from 2-3 lemons
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ pound butter, unsalted and cut into small pieces and placed in the freezer
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Blueberries, raspberries and strawberries
- ¼ cup apple jelly
- Heat a pan until the surface is hot and remove from the heat. Slowly add the butter pieces, incorporating each piece before adding the next. Add lemon zest and whisk until cool.
- In a bowl over a pan of simmering water, whisk together the eggs, lemon juice and sugar until combined. Continue whisking until mixture begins to thicken and lighten in color. Do not allow mixture to become too hot or it will curdle.
- Combine flour and sugar in a food processor. Pulse the mixture about 10 times. Add in butter chunks and process only until texture resembles large crumbs.
- Whisk together egg yolks with one tablespoon of cream. Add the egg yolks and cream mixture to the food processor bowl and pulse 10 times, adding remaining cream if needed.
- Dump dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap and flatten into a circular disk. Place in refrigerator for 1 hour to overnight before using.
- Take small pieces of dough and place into tart pans. Press until a thickness of ¹⁄₈ inch.
- Bake at 350 degrees until light brown. Time will depend on the size of the tart pans. Remove from pans and allow to cool. Continue with remaining dough.
- To assemble, place a scant teaspoon of curd into the shell and spread over bottom. Arrange sliced pieces of fruit on the curd. Heat the apple jelly until it turns to liquid. Allow to cool slightly. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the fruit with the jelly to add shine and act as a preservative.