- 4 packets (¼-ounce each) unflavored gelatin
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup or honey
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup cornstarch
- Combine ½ cup cold water with the gelatin in the bowl of a stand-up mixer. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine remaining water, sugar, and corn syrup or honey. Bring to a boil and stir occasionally until syrup reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Pour hot liquid in a stream into the gelatin mixture while mixing on a low setting. When combined, mix on a high setting for 12 to 15 minutes until lukewarm and very fluffy. Add salt and vanilla.
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch pan with cornstarch. The mixture will be very sticky, and the cornstarch helps you work with it.
- Spoon the fluff onto the pan. Spread with the back of a spoon or spatula until even. Let set overnight. Coat a knife with cornstarch and cut into squares.
Tips & Notes
To make a salted-chocolate version, melt 2 cups chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon canola oil. Dip set marshmallows in the melted chocolate, place on wax paper and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.