- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Per serving: Calories: 57, calories from fat: 4, total fat: 0, total carbohydrates: 14.5 g (4%)
- Recipe From: Tennessee Home & Farm
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder, sifted (don’t substitute)
- pinch salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
1. In a heavy-bottomed 2-quart pot, combine sugar, cocoa powder and salt.
2. Whisk to combine and gradually stir in the water. Stir until well mixed.
3. Over medium heat, stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Boil three minutes, stirring frequently with whisk. Reduce heat if syrup threatens to boil over.
4. Remove from heat; pour into a heatproof 4-cup measure or pitcher.
5. Cool uncovered to room temperature, strain through a fine strainer into a 2 ½-cup container.
6. Stir in vanilla.
7. Store covered, in refrigerator. Serve cold, at room temperature or gently heated.