*If unavailable, substitute with a loaf of brioche and add ½ cup raisins or currants, ⅓ cup additional sugar and 2 tablespoons orange zest into the egg/milk mixture.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13-by-9-inch casserole pan.
- Tear the panettone and layer it evenly in the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Pour egg mixture over the panettone.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil, and bake until lightly browned and center is set, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- While cooling, melt butter and flour in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat. When bubbly, stir in half-and-half. Whisk until thick. Stir in vanilla and sugar. While warm, spoon over bread pudding.