- 12 ounces high-quality semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 ounces high-quality white chocolate chips (not almond bark)
- ¼ cup peppermint candy*, crushed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening or coconut oil, divided
*Any peppermint hard candy – sticks, puffs or pinwheels – will work. King Leo peppermints are easy because they are not individually wrapped, making it easier to prepare them for cooking.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the semisweet chocolate with 1 tablespoon shortening. Stir every 30 seconds or so, just until the chips begin to lose their shape.
- Stir them until chocolate is very smooth, and spoon into a parchment-lined 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Set aside to cool. Let set completely.
- Combine the remaining shortening with the white chocolate chips, and microwave following the same instructions above.
- When smooth, spread the melted white chocolate over the semisweet layer. Evenly sprinkle crushed peppermints on top. Let set 1 to 2 hours. Break into pieces when you’re ready to serve.