Beat the heat with this refreshing watermelon-lavender sorbet recipe.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Recipe Created By: National Watermelon Promotion Board, Elizabeth Somer
- Recipe From: Tennessee Home & Farm
- 4 ½ cups pureed watermelon pulp, divided
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lavender flowers (culinary type)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vodka (watermelon or citrus flavors work well)
- salt to taste
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, add ½ cup watermelon pulp, sugar, lavender and salt. Bring to a slow boil, then simmer 5 minutes. Remove heat and cover for 10 minutes.
- Place strainer over a large bowl and pour syrup mixture through, straining out lavender flowers. Add remaining 4 cups watermelon, lemon juice and vodka. Stir until blended.
- Pour into container, cover and place in freezer. When semi-solid, mash up sorbet with a fork and freeze again. When frozen, place sorbet mixture into a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Scoop desired amount into a small bowl, garnish with a small wedge of watermelon and a lavender sprig.
Tips & Notes
The vodka used in this recipe helps to prevent the sorbet from setting up too firm.