Sweet onions combine with fresh parsley, lemon and other flavors for a new condiment that's a great topping for hot dogs or burgers.
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 Vidalia onions
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- juice of half a lemon
- Bring water, vinegar and sugar to a boil. Boil for two minutes.
- Pour vinegar mixture over the Vidalia onions in a glass or ceramic bowl. Stir well. Marinate overnight at room temperature.
- Drain thoroughly. Mix remaining ingredients well and mix with the onions.
- Refrigerate in covered glass jar.
Tips & Notes
Vidalia onions are the most widely available sweet onion, but you could substitute other sweet varieties such as Maui, Walla Walla, Oso Sweet or Rio Sweet.